Sunday, January 31, 2021

January Jamboree

First, let me say that I am very thankful to make it into 2021. I went back to Texas for the winter break, but it wasn't really a break. I decided to use my time wisely and study for the MCAT. Right before I came back to New Orleans to start the semester, I spent the first week of January at the Islamic center in Beaumont teaching Arabic to kids age 6-9. I have been volunteering here since 2015 and it felt really good to come back. I really enjoy working with these children because they come from a different background and their parents want them to learn their native language.

Once the semester officially began, I went into grind mode. I am still using the same study methods from last semester. The first exam covered the Endocrine/Reproductive Module. I must say that this module made me really nervous because it counts as a huge percentage of our overall grade, but in the end, I am very pleased with my results. Although we are already a few weeks into the semester, I am still looking forwards to see what's in store for the months ahead. I am excited to learn more about endocrine pharmacology with Dr. Lindsey. I enjoy reading the chapters of Sapolsky's book. This week our discussion is about stress and the its effect on the heart. I guess I should start working on that now. Listening to a presentation on stress each week makes me take a step back and remind myself not to take on too much stress. I have also learned to look at things from a positive perspective.

As for upcoming projects, I am working with BMS to have Pre-MD/Dental application workshops. This is where the pharmacology students and other masters students can speak to advisors and current medical students to ask questions and prepare to apply to medical/dental schools. I am hoping this will give my classmates ease while we prepare for the rest of the semester and the NBME exam. 


January Hours: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment